4 Jan 2010

Bags Bags Bags

Picnik collage

Now that Christmas is over, I can finally share this great project! I could not resist making these cute tote bags for everyone and did not resist. I saw a great tutorial on V & Co a few months ago on making wheat pillows with freezer paper and spray paint, and I was hooked. Unfortunately I didn’t really have a place for them in the house, plus there is that whole “no sewing” thing that I try to stick to. So I decided to see if it would work on these tote bags, and luckily it did!

I printed this wheat stencil from Vanessa’s site, traced it onto some freezer paper and cut out the leaves.

2009_12_17_5060

I arranged the leaves on the bag and ironed them down. Luckily, they peeled off easily and could be re-ironed on if I changed my mind about spacing or whatever.

2009_12_17_5063

I taped off an inch at the top of the bag because I wanted to keep a beige rim, and then spray painted it with two light coats of paint.

2009_12_17_5065

When it was dry, I just peeled off the freezer paper and was done!

2009_12_17_5066

It turned out so great! The freezer paper sealed really well so the paint didn’t bleed at all, and the stencil lines looked really sharp.

2009_12_17_5069

Once I saw how well this turned out I had to make more! For this brown bag I followed the same steps as for the blue one, and just spray painted the whole bag, including the handles. It turned out great, but took forever to do the entire thing and used most of a can of spray paint. But I still really like it.

2009_12_21_5138

I thought that a quicker way to make a bag like the one above would be to just start with a brown bag and spray paint the stencil area white, but this just didn’t work. The paint just soaked through the bag and didn’t show up at all. So I used a few leftover scraps of linen from my cheater pillow, taped off little squares, cut out leaf and tree stencils with the freezer paper and spray painted those. 2009_12_20_5128

I then went against my no-sew policy and hand stitched them onto the bag. I was reminded why I don’t like to hand sew-it took forever!! But the end result was perfect and I was really happy with it. The spray paint did bleed a little into the leaves on the linen, but it wasn’t that noticeable and still looked good.

2009_12_21_5143

The finished product.

2009_12_21_5139

I made another brown bag with this blue leaf stencil that I hand-sewed for my sister, but since I finished it the night before we left I didn’t get a chance to take a picture of the finished product! Crazy, I know!

2009_12_20_5129

Everyone seemed to like their bags, and now I get to make one for myself! My brother and sister-in-law kept telling me that I should try to put some of this stuff on Etsy, but I think that once people see how easy it is to make, they would just do it themselves, right? I don’t think I’m ready to dive into Etsy yet, but it is fun to think about.

Next week I will be back to let you know what I ended up doing with these fun blocks.

From Windows Live Writer

I’m linking up to the Girl Creative, Metamorphasis Monday, Make It For Monday, It's So Very Cheri, A Soft Place to Land, Today's Creative Blog, Blue Cricket Designs, Shabby Chic Cottage, Somewhat Simple, Thrifty Thursday, Creative Cats and Funky Junk Interiors.

27 comments:

Tiffany said...

Erin, these are awesome. I love every single one of them. Nice job especially on the hand stitching! I'm impressed. I'm sure everyone you gave one to was thrilled to get one of these bags.

V and Co. said...

yay! how wonderful! i'll make sure to link you and show off your lovely bags when i do my next "look at you guys go!" sometime this week! thanks erin! -V

Sarah said...

Very cute! I really like that last one that you did. It turned out so colorful.

Phyllis AROUND THE HOUSE said...

I love the way you used the freezer paper and spray painted on the fabric, I will surely try that very soon, I am a follower and I will return, come for a visit...

PlantSomeRoots@Lakewood said...

What a great gift idea...I want one! Thanks for sharing your skills, including the sewing!
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

Wendy said...

They look great and seem really simple to make. Another one to add to my list:)

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Cute, cheap, clever, and good for the environment - love it!

Michelle said...

Those look great! Love V's tutorial!!!

Cha Cha said...

You did a great job, I would love to get this as a gift, maybe I'll make myself one. Thanks for sharing

Catherine peacelovesweater@blogspot.com said...

I can't believe how crisp those lines turned out! Who would have thought freezer paper and spray paint??
Beautiful Project!

Sarah Lou said...

They look faulous!!!! This makes me so envious that we cant get freezer paper in our supermarkets. they just look divine!!!

Destri {The Mother Huddle} said...

Very nice, Very nice indeed.
I may have to link up to these...
Thanks for sharing!

Felicita said...

Those are super cute! Great work.

Lori said...

What a great idea! Can't wait to see what you do with the blocks. Stopped by from DIY day at ASPTL

Becca @ Blue Cricket Design said...

Erin!This is incredible! I'd love to feature this entire tutorial if you don't mind!email me bluecricketdesign@gmail.com

Kimm at Reinvented said...

I love them! I thought about giving bags this year, but couldn't come up with cool ideas or time. Thanks for the inspiration!

Barbara Jean said...

these bags are great!!


Whoever would have thought to spray paint a whole bag??

thanks a bunch.

blessings

barbara jean

Kara@ Creations by Kara said...

I saw the same tutorial but just haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Your bags turned out beautiful! I especially love the last one!!

One Cheap B*tch said...

You made this look SO easy that I might try it! Well done!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

I will be featuring these!

Leigh of Bloggeritaville said...

AMAZING! You make it look so easy! I love this project and cannot wait to see what becomes of the blocks!
Thanks, friend, for linking up to Thrifty Thursday on Tales from Bloggeritaville! Great thrifty treasure!

Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

just me... said...

Super cute!! May have to try it! TFS

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

Those are amazing and even I can handle the little stitching thats one those! I love them! WOW

Tracy

Andy Porter said...

I'm super excited about this project!! FABULOUS!!!!!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Your designs are beautiful! You've nailed the simplicity that always always works.

Love the tutorial too. Thanks for linking up to SNS!

FJ Donna

Its So Very Cheri said...

Your bags are fabulous.

Cheri

The DIY Show Off said...

These are SO pretty and look you make it look so easy to do. Great tutorial!

Thanks so much for joining the DIY Show & Tell party. It's nice to meet you! :)

Roeshel

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin