1 Dec 2009

Christmas-y Cones

Picnik collage

I have always wanted some of those cool cone-shaped trees that they sell a variety of at Target this time of year, but couldn’t bring myself to spend $40 for one. I’d been thinking that I’d make my own this year, and ever since I made the twine centerpiece balls (read about here), I’ve been planning these.

I showed these off just a little last week in my post about my wall art, which you can see here if interested. (Sorry for the shameless bragging, just still a little too excited about them :)

2009_11_24_4456

Anyway, I started off with the materials shown below. I initially mixed glue with some water and used this to harden the twine, but once it was dry it wasn’t quite strong enough to keep it’s shape.

2009_11_16_4210

So I got some of this stuff to use instead, (I know, I know) and it works tons better.

2009_11_20_4312

I wrapped the cones in parchment paper and secured it with pins, and then wrapped the soaked twine around the cone in a crisscrossing pattern, wringing it out a little at a time as I went. (Edited to add: Make sure that your bottom strands are straight all the way around the base, or you may end up with something that belongs on the Isle of Misfit Trees.)

2009_11_16_4217

Once that was finished, I put green raffia in the stiffener and wrapped it around the cones as well, just for a little color and a different texture.

2009_11_17_4222Once all is dry (I usually left it overnight), I used a knife to separate the twine from the parchment paper and here is the end result!

2009_11_30_4530

The best part about making the trees this way is that you can make several trees using only one foam cone as the mold. I wanted to try out a few different things, so this let me experiment on the trees without “using up” one of the foam cones, since they are kind of expensive. I have a plain pair, and this pair that has just a few tiny berries hot glued on in various spots.

2009_11_30_4533

Another set I spray painted white, sprayed it with some glitter, and then glued on these larger berries.

2009_11_30_4546

2009_11_30_4553

This one I actually used the little cone for (I had two, so I was willing to lose one of them). I spray painted the cone and the twine separately, hot glued the twine onto the cone, and capped it with (of course) little berries.

2009_11_30_4543

This has been a good little project, but now I have these trees everywhere. Time to start giving some away!

48 comments:

MommyBrain said...

Classic and a bit funky and seems easy enough ... me likey ;)

Stephanie said...

These trees are AWESOME!! I LOVE them - thanks for the 'how-to'!!

Jessica said...

Beautiful! If I get the chance, I'd love to make these.

Gina said...

Great idea! I love it, thanks for showing us how.

Shannon said...

Oh I love that! Those turned out so pretty! Thanks for sharing!

Tiffany said...

Erin, those are seriously awesome! I LOVE them! I really, really love them! I have been wanting to make some fun trees and your way is terrific so I just might have to try it! Thanks for sharing!

Kirsty said...

Another thing to copy you on! I better get movin'! They are gorgeous!

Amanda said...

I think your craftiness is just too overwhelming. I might have to stop reading your blog. Or maybe I should try it and then post the result that comes from the "craft-challenged." :) Seriously though, beautiful again. And, if that is an ornament wreath coming up, I don't know what I'll do.

Sheri said...

These are very cute and at least "appear" simple to do. I never think about using fabric stiffener! Thanks for sharing. I've posted a link on childmade.com.

Janis@White Alder[Home] said...

So this is project #2 of yours that I'm stealing........you did another wonderful job!

PS: I made a ornament wreath too they are just soooooo pretty.

Andrea said...

I love it!!

debbie said...

I was just looking at some of these at Target today. I couldn't pay the price either. Thanks for the tut.

Trudi said...

Those trees are darling. I priced the cones today and was shocked at the price. I'm going to use a HL coupon... but first some twine.

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Very cute... I did a Target knock-off tree last week with a little different spin. Yours turned out very cute!

Kelly said...

A song comes to mind: "She's Crafty" by the Beatie Boys. Except that, in this case, the crafty is literal, not in any way derogatory like the song! :)

jenjen said...

Cute! I was just at Target tonight and was looking at those trees and wondering if there would be a way to duplicate them. Great job!

XOOX
Jen

Becky said...

I just love the tree project. So clever and adorable. I cannot wait to try that one myself. Thanks for the idea!

Jessica said...

these are so darn cute, and so far from 40$! great work!

Turley Times said...

I love these! I'm bookmarking your post so I can try them sometime!

Rebecca D. said...

They turned out great! I love theses! I'd love to feature them on my blog!Let me know if that's ok!!

Becca @ Blue cricket Design!

Rebecca D. said...

They turned out great! I love theses! I'd love to feature them on my blog!Let me know if that's ok!!

Becca @ Blue cricket Design!

Kristy said...

This is such a great idea! I've seen lots of fun suggestions using foam trees, but I love that this only needs one to make several trees, because they really can be expensive!

Thanks for sharing!

burlap + blue said...

These are so, so cute! Thanks so much for sharing!! I love twine myself:) I linked up to a burlap and ruffles ottoman tutorial on my blog that you might like as well:)

Valerie said...

this is sooo fabulous! i am filing this at thecraftersfilebox.com.

thanks for sharing!

Stephanie Lynn said...

These are so fun! I now need to make some of these babies for my sons playroom! So cute! Thanks for posting and the information! Happy Holidays!

Tammy said...

Holy smokey! These are gorgeous! I love what you did. I am SO going to try this, hopefully this week! I have to finish my ornament wreath first. :)

Lynn said...

Really cute idea! And since I'm running out of storage space (big time!) - I especially like the fact that you could probably nest a little one and a medium one inside a larger one to store for next year.

Abby said...

ADORABLE! Must..make..right...now... Thanks for the tutorial. I also have a Christmas ball wreath started!

ScottChrisCoriCassiCali said...

Freakin' amazing. I LOVE them! My favorite simple Christmas decoration this year. Kudos!

Kristin said...

Those are beautiful, thanks for sharing all the details!

Cindy said...

Yes. Twine goodness. Love. Thanks for the tute...will be trying this most definitely :)

So glad you linked up!

Donna said...

Made one! Love it! Mine was made with white embroidery thread, silver jewelry cord and crystals. I needed a "tallest" piece to accompany some crystal, silver and white items on a silver charger/tray. This was perfect. Thank you for sharing the tutorial. I used Alene's fabric stiffener.

Jen @ Fun Family Tips said...

Absolutely gorgeous (and I've always always wanted one of these so I'm SOOOO excited to find your blog)! I've linked: http://www.funfamilytips.com/?p=725

burlap + blue said...

I love these and just wanted you to know that I mentioned them on my blog tonight and linked to you!

Link is here if you want to take a look:)

http://burlapandblue.blogspot.com/2009/12/its-about-twine.html

Thanks for the inspiration!!

Barbara Jean said...

These are great!
thanks for the idea and such good instructions.
Now I'm off to see what the new project is. Hope it is up.

blessings

barbara jean

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

super cute. I featured this on somedaycrafts.blogspot.com Grab my "featured" button.

happy mama said...

Ooh, I have the PERFECT spot for some of these! Thanks for the tutorial!

Lacie @ Creative Attempts said...

thank you so much for sharing! I have to make these and when I do I will post and link back :)

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Fabulous!!! Love the variations you came up with. And I agree, they have a funky spin which is right up my alley. :)

Thanks for linking up to SNS!

FJ Donna

Lacie @ Creative Attempts said...

I actually made these and love them I am going to post and link back to your post!!! Thanks so much

"r-creations" said...

I love these. I am totally going to attempt to make these tomorrow. What a great mind you have to look at something beautiful and turn it into something easy yet less expensive to make on your own

Miss Dot said...

If you have too many trees, you can give some to me. I like the ones with the green raffia. Kthanks!

Visiting from SITS!!

♥Miss Dot

Shanty 2 Chic said...

Just found your blog and LOVING some of your great ideas!! Thanks so much for sharing!

~Whitney

Amanda said...

I am writing to request permission to reprint this adorable project on Craftown.com. We would of course give you full credit and will happily link back to your blog. Please let me know if this is acceptable. Thanks!

Amanda Formaro
Chief Editor - Craftown.com
http://craftown.com

Bret and Cherissa Newton said...

So when you used the fabric stiffener, did you mix that with water also?

Anonymous said...

My point of view partially coincided with yours. Thank you for trying. antidepressants Read a useful article about tramadol tramadol

Hannah Otto said...

Where did you get your twine from? I am having a hard time finding a thick hemp twine without a wire in it.

Bonnie H said...

Your Christmas-y Cones have been featured at Our Secondhand House today as part of a DIY Christmas Decoration post. I hope you will stop by to check it out.

http://www.oursecondhandhouse.com

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin